Spammers forged my address - help unbury me from bounces?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 29 17:08:42 PDT 2003

Len Conrad wrote:
[ ... ]
> They are bounce msgs from mailer-daemon, the mailer-daemon and no
> spammer every read the reject text.  better to make the msg say
> something useful to your log file reporter than to any human.

It's better to make the message be human readable, regardless of whether the
person reading was the sender or you, reading the log file reporter output.

> If a mailer-daemon sees its bounce-msg rejected with a 5xx, it will
> discard the msg.  (what else can it to with it?)

The mailer-daemon is supposed to generate a DSN when the delivery attempt fails
with a 5xx, and return that DSN to the sender of the original message.

-Chuck