Installing on a IBM PC320 Server

Chris gillis at neuro.fsu.edu
Thu May 29 05:21:53 PDT 2003

David,

check out this page:
         http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

Before you install and configure FreeBSD on your system, there is an
important subject that you should be aware of, especially if you have
multiple hard drives.

In a PC running a BIOS-dependent operating system such as MS-DOS or
Microsoft Windows, the BIOS is able to abstract the normal disk drive
order, and the operating system goes along with the change. This allows the
user to boot from a disk drive other than the so-called ``primary master''.

A user who is accustomed to taking advantage of these features may become
surprised when the results with FreeBSD are not as expected. FreeBSD does
not use the BIOS, and does not know the ``logical BIOS drive mapping''.
This can lead to very perplexing situations, especially when drives are
physically identical in geometry, and have also been made as data clones of
one another.

When using FreeBSD, always restore the BIOS to natural drive numbering
before installing FreeBSD, and then leave it that way. If you need to
switch drives around, then do so, but do it the hard way, and open the case
and move the jumpers and cables.

hope this helps,
Chris

At 05:26 PM 5/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I have an old IBM PC320 Server with the following hardware (use to have
>Microsoft SBS 4.5 installed before I tried to install FreeBSD):
>
>128MB RAM
>2 (4.5GB) Quantum Viking WSE SCSI hard drives, one is SCSI ID#0 and the
>other SCSI ID#1
>SCSI ID#7 Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI controller
>SCSI ID#2 HP 35470A Tape Drive
>SCSI ID#3 IBM CDRM00203 SCSI CD-ROM
>Trident TGVA (1MB) video card
>2 (100Mhz) Pentium Processors
>
>Installed FreeBSD 4.8 (and also tried FreeBSD 4.2) with no hiccups using the
>outlined installation in the FreeBSD handbook with no other operating
>systems.  When I go to reboot, the Boot Manager comes up with two options:
>F1 FreeBSD and F5 Drive 1 (or F5 Drive 0, depending if I select F5).
>Neither work.  It will not boot past this point.  What am I doing wrong?  I
>know it probably has something to do with my SCSI ID's but I don't have a
>clue what arrangement or BIOS settings that need to be adjusted.  Has anyone
>installed on this type of server and if so, what settings are needed on the
>physical server.  Or is there a way to get around it in the installation
>process.  Thanks for all your help!  I'd really like to get FreeBSD going on
>this particular box.
>
>David Nicholas
>osuisn01 at charter.net

Chris Gillis