Setting kernel name in buildkernel

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed May 28 10:25:31 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:59:16AM -0500, Krzysztof Parzyszek wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:22:21AM -0400, FBSD_User wrote:
> > Copy /kernel to different name, say kernela, and then recompile
> > kernel source containing changes and it will replace /kernel, then
> > copy /kernel to different name, say kernelb.
>
> [...]
>
> Thank you, but I must have been not clear enough about not doing
> it manually.  I have done it the way you described and I find it
> annoying.  That's why I asked if there is a more convenient way,
> i.e. a flag to set before buildkernel/installkernel or something
> like that.

Actually there is a way, but it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere
outside of the makefiles and commitlogs:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL INSTKERNNAME=mykernel
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL INSTKERNNAME=mykernel

will build/install a kernel using the name 'mykernel' instead of the
default 'kernel'

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson