undefined symbols in kld

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue May 27 01:00:37 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:12:36PM +0530, Anurag Chaudhary wrote:
> ok i got that.
> but why it's not linking my code to the kernel static library.
> do i need to pass some option in makefile or something else.
> I havn't seen such problems in linux.
> Actually I am porting a device driver from linux to freebsd 5.0
> I can not arrange the book @ this instant because freebsd is alsmost not
> used in India and rarely are found its books.

Note that not all libc functions are in that library; most notably, I can't
find references to the functions you mentioned.

Although I'm not a kernel programmer myself, I did find out the following
by grepping the sources:

- you might want to try tsleep(9) instead of usleep(). I don't know whether
  there is a function that specifically uses some set time value.
- there is a memcpy() prototype in sys/systm.h, although I cannot
  find the implementation in /usr/src/sys, strangely enough.
- memset() is apparently a macro defined in <sys/libkern.h>.

I suggest judicious use of grep -r <symbol> /usr/src/sys, if you run into
more undefined symbol errors.

HTH,

--Stijn

--