Screen and VI

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sun May 25 14:01:19 PDT 2003

> Hello list! I am not suscribed to the list so PLEASE CC me at
> stephanweaver at hotmail.com
>
> Anyone know why, while in screen if i move the cursor (arrow key on
> keyboard) right i get the letter C ? (inside vi)

Probably the arrow key sends ESC-C as its code.  something eats the ESC
and that leaves C.

All the extra keys such as arrows, page up, down, etc send ESC sequence
codes -I don't know all the codes.  They're probably documented somewhere.
Most are versions are probably based on the DEC VT100 and VT200 codes from
back in ancient history.
Generally we tell people not to use the arrow keys with in vi, but if
your terminal configuration is set up right and your network is fast
you can do it.    So, you have to figure out how to set up TERM.

Maybe someone else will know the actuall setting information.

////jerry