upgrading perl

Rob listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Sun May 25 01:49:01 PDT 2003

Install a perl port with a newer version:

  # cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
  # make install

and run the command which makes it 'default' for the system:

  # use.perl port

This replaces the system perl binaries under /usr/bin with symlinks to
the new port in /usr/local/bin (though it seems to miss a few) and adds
some lines to /etc/make.conf so the new version will be used for
building software.

If you do this, there shouldn't be any need to remove the base system's
version of perl.