NE2000 compatible pcmcia ether-card doesn't work

Vladik Kozin epbox at yandex.ru
Sat May 24 15:56:31 PDT 2003

	 I installed FBSD 4.8 on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the NE2000 compatible
ethernet card. Unfortunately, somethig went wrong while adjusting the kernel
to my needs. So now I can't get the same card to work.
My present configuration looks like this:

#____   kernel
device miibus
device ed
device card
device pcic0 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
device pcic1 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

#_____   /etc/rc.conf
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"
pccardd_flags=""

#_____  dmesg sais
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccard: card removed, slot 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ed0 at port ....... irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
ed0: address ..............., type NE2000 (16bit)
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout

#_____ from >man 4 ed
 ed%d: device timeout  Indicates that an expected transmitter interrupt
     didn't occur.  Usually caused by an interrupt conflict with another card
     on the ISA bus.  This condition could also be caused if the kernel is
     configured for a different IRQ channel than the one the card is actually
     using.  If that is the case, you will have to either reconfigure the card
     using a DOS utility or set the jumpers on the card appropriately.

        I've already tried to to change interrupt by adding irq to the kernel
and  pccardd_flags="-i #num" to /etc/rc.conf.
        I was also experimenting with /boot/kernel.conf, altering it by my own
hands. Installing the new kernel doesn't seem to replace this file. Then who
does? Why is it important if at all?
	I had the following strings in /boot/kernel.conf at the begining:
 	       en ed0
	       po ed0 0x280
               ir ed0 5
               iom ed0 0xd8000