Can't fsck disk - now what?

David Fleck dcf at aracnet.com
Fri May 23 21:38:19 PDT 2003

Using 4.6 release.

OK, I was browsing happily in Mozilla when the system became completely
unresponsive - couldn't ping it, couldn't get a response from any of the
VTs.  So I reboot:

Automatic boot in progress...
[... Several filesystems found clean, messages deleted ... ]
/dev/ad0s1f: clean, 1201402 free (522 frags, 150110 blocks, 0.0%
fragmentation)
/dev/ad0s1f: UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=1640145
/dev/ad0s1f: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
	/dev/ad0s1f (/usr)
Automatic file system check failed . . . help!

"Help", indeed. /usr is not a partition I want to be without.
I drop to /bin/sh, and discover, to my great unhappy surprise, that
I don't have fsck in /bin.  WTF???

OK, fine.  I fire up the live filesystem CD.
I go to the main menu, then the Fixit option.  I start the live
filesystem, then try to fsck:

Fixit# fsck /dev/ad0s1f
Can't stat /dev/ad0s1f: no such file or directory

oh joy.  sure enough, in /dev, there's an ad0s1, but that's it.  no
/dev/ad0s1f.

Maybe if I copy fsck to one of the partitions that still mount? Tried
that...
$ ./fsck /dev/ad0s1f
WARNING: R/W mount of /usr denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
fsck: /dev/ad0s1f: Operation not permitted

Right.  The fsck on the CD works, but can't see the partition; the fsck on
the drive sees the partition, but won't fsck the damned thing.  In short,
what the f*** do I do now?

--
David Fleck
dcf at aracnet.com