Maybe OT: Automatic CRLF conversion?

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Fri May 23 13:29:23 PDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:

> 	col -bx < file > newfile
>
> 	This will remove ^M from the file.

Some people replied with answers like that. I thank you very much for the
help, but I already knew beforehand at least a dozen different ways of doing
it by hand, including but not limited to: sed, perl, awk, dos2unix, vi, tr,
ed and custom C code.

As I said in my first mail people DON'T have shell access to the server,
they don't know and don't want to know anything about Unix
and I have many other things to do other than waiting for them to call me
every time they upload a file (20-30 times a day) to fix things.

I want to know if samba has the equivalent of FTP's ASCII transfer so it
handles the conversion "on the fly". If it doesn't I'll go the cron
or wait_on (thanks Chris for the pointer) way to monitor the directories
and run the script every time people upload a file.

Thanks again.

			Fer