Thoughts on Ultra 320 RAID Adapters

Alex Helbig ahelbig at rlc.qld.edu.au
Thu May 22 21:37:40 PDT 2003

Hi:

I am building a development box which must be able to run FreeBSD
4.8-RELEASE, Windows 2000 Server and Netware 6.0. Hopefully it will also
be able to run FreeBSD 5.0. I don't ask for much do I ;-)

The box is based on an Intel SE7500WV2 motherboard in an Intel SR2300
chassis. I orginally configured this box with an Adaptec 2120S raid
adapter. I have been able to get this combination to work with all of
the above OS's except Netware 6.0. The driver suplied by Adaptec will
not work, and at this stage Adaptec have not been able to resolve the
problem.

In the short term I need to be able to progress with the project and
therefore am looking for suggestions regarding an alternative Ultra 320
Raid adapter.

My reseller has suggested I use the Intel® RAID Controller SRCU42L to
keep the solution all intel - but I can find no reference to this
adadpter (good or bad) on FreeBSD Questions. Has anyone had experience
with this adapter under FreeBSD? If so, has this been good, bad or
otherwise?

Would someone be able to suggest an appropriate RAID adapter for my
needs? I am interested in knowing what adapters you have had good levels
of success with under FreeBSD 4.8 (and maybe 5.0). I will take my
chances that I would not be so unlucky as to pick two different raid
cards that both have broken Netware drivers.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Also please reply direct to my email address ahelbig at rlc.qld.edu.au, as
I am not subscribed to this list.

Best Regards
Alex Helbig.