For the experienced - stunnel and port 80

ODHIAMBO Washington wash at wananchi.com
Thu May 22 09:27:26 PDT 2003

* Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> [20030522 19:24]: wrote:
> ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:
> >I am running apache+modssl on port 443. I want stunnel to listen on port
> >80,
> >and then connect to port 443 instead, so that the users can just type
> >www.domain.tld and not https://www.domain.tld.
> [ ... ]
> >sockstat -l shows stunnel listening on port 80, but in the life of me, I
> >cannot just connect to that box if I do not use https://....
>
> HTTP doesn't have the equivalent of STARTTLS for negotiating SSL over a
> plain HTTP connection; you have to specify https:// in the URL.  Your
> attempted use of stunnel isn't going to do anything useful in terms of
> encrypting the connections between the client and web server.
>
> To solve the original problem, create seperate virtual domains for the
> site on port 80 and 443, and in the virutal section for the port-80
> version do a:
>
> Redirect permanent / https://www.domain.tld

I have suspected all along that this would be the answer!!

Thank you so much. I am now set.

 	Best regards,
	Odhiambo Washington
        Wananchi Online Ltd.

___W_A_N_A_N_C_H_I__O_N_L_I_N_E__L_T_D___The People's Choice______
Wananchi Head Office    |*|	Tel: +254 2 313 985-9
1st Flr Loita, Loita St.|*|	Fax: +254 2 313 922
10286-GPO, NAIROBI, KE 	|*|	e-mail: <wash at wananchi dot com>
++

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
and a light unto my path.
        Psalms 119:105