Printing Problem And A Permissions Problem

Scott Reese sreese at codysbooks.com
Wed May 21 19:04:58 PDT 2003

[please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subscribed to
questions.  Thank you.]

I'm currently having two problems.  The most annoying issue is that my
printing is now suddenly crippled.  I can *technically* print out
anything I want, it just always comes out in a fixed width font,
ignores formatting (i.e. bold, italics, specified fonts) and ends up
all jumbled together.  Before I upgraded my ports (I believe
ghostscript was updated), printing worked just fine.  I'm using cups
and have already re-compiled and re-installed cups, cups-lpr,
cups-pstoraster and ghostscript-gnu to no avail.  These things "just
worked" before and now they do not.  Any ideas?

The other issue is regarding the gtk2 version of Ximian Evolution (I
installed this version as I am running Gnome 2).  The installation
went fine and the program starts up just fine, but whenever I try to
check mail or anything, I get the following error:

Error while 'Storing folder 'home/scott/evolution/local/Inbox'':
Cannot create folder lock on //home/scott/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox:
Permission denied

I checked the permissions and they should be fine.  I own all the
folders and files under the directory in question and, in fact,
Evolution created those files and folders itself so I'm a bit baffled
as to why it would somehow deny itself permission to write to
directories that it created.  Any ideas on this one?

I've done some searching around and have found nothing as of yet.  Any
suggestions or pointers are welcome.  Thank you.

-Scott