lan problem

pat bey phaza7 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 16:06:38 PDT 2003

Can anyone help me solve this problem??

I have two boxes win xp and FreeBSD 4.6 and a DLink 704P router which has built-in nat and dhcp server. Here is a diagram of my setup.
                                    -----------------------------
                                   | dsl modem           |
                                  -------------------------------

                                  --------------------------------
                                 | router                     |
                                 -------------------------------
                                       |                |
       --------------------------------|                |------------------------------
      |                                                                               |
-----------------------                                                    -------------------------
| Win XP box   |                                                    |  FBSD4.6 box   |
----------------------                                                     -------------------------

I followed the online handbook to setup this box, everything is configured for dhcp.  Using the GENERIC kernel.  I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 & my nic
which had 0% packet loss.  But when I try to ping the router I get a message of route to host down.  I have Bind running as a caching server .  I updated the firmware for a unix sys and I can't get out to the world from this box.  The windows box have no problem getting out to the world.  On the router I have ports tcp,udp 20-2999 open for both mac address.  The router sees both MAC's but the FBSD box can't even access the routers web page.  I have another nic card should I install it and put the BSD box in front of the router.  Or can anyone help me solve this problem.
:D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:D
# ifconfig
sis0: flags=8843<UP,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.0.105 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:12:34:56:78
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full duplex>)
status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
# rc.conf
blanktime="300"
hostname="phaza"
ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
named_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
kernel_secure_level_enable="YES"
kepmap="us.unix"
keyrate="normal"
linux_enable="YES"
and the rest is just set to the default.
I had Redhat Linux 7.2 installed before and it work with no problem straight out of the box.  I been working on this for a 2 months with no luck.  Can anyone help me out.  I chose the 4.6 version cause it was all that my local comp had as far as BSD that came with a handbook.

Suppressed minds have no Freedom of Choice