Building KDE broken

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed May 21 04:57:11 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 03:37 am, ODHIAMBO Washington wrote:
> I could write to the maintainer but I believe I can get fast help
> via this list. I am trying to build KDE3, but end up withthis error:
>
> ===>  Verifying install for artsc.0 in /usr/ports/audio/arts
> There is no COMMENT variable defined
> for this port. Please, rectify this.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kdebase3.
> *** error code 1

> Now, I thought it would be as easily as editing the
> Makefile in /usr/ports/audio/arts and adding a line
> like
>
> COMMENT=	"Port broken, foobar"
>
> but when I do that it gives another message about
> COOMENTFiles being deprecated in favor of COMMENT
> variables....
>
> Any takers?? Kent, this is your favorite subject, no? ;)

The COMMENT message probably means you have an out of date port structure. DId
you rebuild your INDEX* after cvsuping ports-all. Take your pick of "make
index" or "portsdb -U" followed by portsdb -u. You can just use portsdb -uU
but I go the make index route. I use portupgrade and its toolset, which needs
INDEX.db.. Make index also takes longer to generate. Portupgrade runs really
well for me.

I have built kde-3.1.2 on FreeBSD 4-stable and I am using it to send this
email. I am in the processi of building it on 5-current.

There have been some massive changes on how fonts are installed for x-windows.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA