PCI Wireless NICs for 4.x/5.x

Matthew Ryan matt at overdose.com
Tue May 20 11:13:41 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 06:39 PM, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 10:25 AM, Matthew Ryan wrote:
>
>> Only the Prism II cards and the Cisco cards will work properly as
>> access points.
>> Use "Host AP"
>
> When did the Cisco cards start being supported by hostap? I was under
> the impression that only Prism II/2.5 based cards worked in access
> point mode. As far as I can tell, an(4) doesn't say anything about
> that feature. I would love for those cards to be supported! That would
> be great news.

I do apologize, you are quite correct.

One of those sentences which started off meaning one thing and ended up
meaning something else entirely I'm afraid.

Although an(4) does not support Host AP, I am sure I read that it is
possible to set up an access point under FreeBSD using the Aironet
4500/4800 cards in a "how to" somewhere, could have been a FreeBSD
Diary, I'll see if I can find it. \

However, ancontrol(8) does not seem to bear this out so perhaps not.
Shame, they are powerful cards.

Matthew Ryan

Matt at overdose.com