Creating a bin or ISO image of a CD??

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Mon May 19 18:14:44 PDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, David Kelly wrote:

> On Monday 19 May 2003 07:14 pm, Steven Lake wrote:
> > How do I create a bin or ISO image of a CD using FBD?  I have
> > already figured out how to use burncd to burn iso's and mkisofs to
> > make the iso's, but I'm unsure how to in essence "rip and burn" cd's
> > and bin files.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.
>
> % dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2048 of=my_cd.iso
>
> Doesn't quite work that simply for audio CD's, or multisession.
>
> Some CDROM drives read the CD one block short. Makes it difficult to use
> raw tools to verify after write.

try:

	dd if=/dev/acd0c of=my_image bs=2352

what version of FreeBSD are you using?
if you are using versions 4.x you can make:

	cd /dev
	./MAKEDEV acd0t100
	cd

to make device files for your tracks, and then:

	dd if=/dev/acd0t1 of=track1.trk bs=2352

to extract the first track of your cd.

I don't know how to make it in FreeBSD-5, I rather modified my
kernel, adding:

	device	atapicam
	device  scsibus
	device	da

and that let me use xcdroast with my atapi cd drive.

	Eduardo