Information about the kernel

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Mon May 19 12:56:07 PDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Luis Felipe Bacca Arango wrote:

>    Hi, I'am a student from Colombia, and i need your help urgent.
>
>    I need to talk about the kernel of BSD, and his features like :
>
>    1. How the kernel manage the memory ?
>    2. How the kernel manage the file system ?
>    3. How the kernel manage the input and output system ?
>    4. How the kernel implements the security and proctection ?.
>
>    Please send me information about these topics, I need this very soon.

Sounds like "Operating Systems 101" homework to me :)

Get a copy of "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating
System" by McKusick et all.

In "Unix Internals: the new frontiers" by Vahalia there is some info
about BSD, but it is not BSD-specific. Both of them are very good
books about Unix Internals.

For something more up-to-date, Use the Source, Luke.

			Fer