PPP has a mind of it's own?

RexFelis catlord17 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 05:38:01 PDT 2003

PPP problem update:

I have been working to find and fix the PPP
problem I was having on my own.  Something
someone said hgave me enough of an idea to try
'cp -pRv /etc/* /mnt/fbsd/a/etc' and this worked
to fix the PPP problem.

I had previously attempted to copy over the
contents of PPP and the /etc/resolv.conf file as
well, with no success.  Copying the entire /etc
over tells me there is some other file there that
was stopping me.  It can't be a firewall, because
I never got far enough to configure one.  Can
anyone help me on which file it might have been?
Remember, when I would connect to the internet,
there were no error messages, and the data would
go both ways in brief, intermitent bursts.  There
was communication both ways, I believe, only
nothing was getting done - brief flash of
transmit light on modem, wait wait wait, brief
flash of transmit light, wait wait wait, brief
flash of receive light, wait wait wait, brief
flash of transmit, etc.

For anyone else who might decide to try fixing
this problem with the copy command, here is a
word to the wise.  Back up your fstab file first.
 The one from my new installation got
overwritten, and now I somehow cannot get either
installation to stop mounting at least one of the
other installation's partitions.  Even if I
comment out or remove entirely the references to
the other installation's partitions from fstab.
This is what my current fstab file looks like...

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype
Options         Dump    Pass#
#/dev/ad2s1b            none            swap
sw              0       0
#/dev/ad2s1a            /mnt/fbsd/a     ufs
rw              1       1
#/dev/ad2s1e            /mnt/fbsd/e     ufs
rw              2       2
#/dev/ad2s1f            /mnt/fbsd/f     ufs
rw              2       2
#/dev/ad2s1d            /mnt/fbsd/d     ufs
rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /mnt/cdrom
cd9660  ro,noauto       0
/dev/acd1               /mnt/cdrom2
cd9660  ro,noauto       0
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap
sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs
rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2d             /var            ufs
rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2e             /tmp            ufs
rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2f             /usr            ufs
rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1              /mnt/windows    msdosfs
rw              0       0

And yet, KDiskFree reports that /dev/ad0s2a is
not mounted as root, but /dev/ad2s1a is.  This is
happening on both installations of FreeBSD!

Should I just scrap my new installation and start
fresh, or os there some remedy for this fstab
thing I am unaware of?  I'd rather learn from my
mistakes than scrap it if I can, but this makes
no sense to me.

Thanks for the help, everyone.  :)

Shannon