Cable modem & DHCP

Bob Hall rjhalljr at starpower.net
Sun May 18 17:16:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 09:42:30AM -0400, JoeB wrote:
> Are you using a crossover cable between the cable modem and your
> FBSD box?

Yes. The ethernet light comes on when both the modem and the computer
are running. That means that there's a connection at the link layer, so
the cable should be good. The light does not come on when I use a
"straight through" cable.

Additional info:
$ less dhclient.leases
lease {
   <some info deleted>
  renew 4 2003/5/15 10:59:57;
  rebind 5 2003/5/16 13:59:57;
  expire 5 2003/5/16 22:59:57;
}

The lease seems to have expired and dhclient hasn't updated it.
I thought maybe the "default to deny" firewall might be stopping
dhclient from querying the DHCP server, so I compiled a
default-to-allow kernel as a test, but that didn't help. At some
point, dhclient was working, but I was wrapped up in another
problem and didn't notice, and I haven't been able to get it to
update the lease since. I did check to make sure that dhclient is
binding to port 68.