Transproxy and ipfw

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun May 18 02:51:11 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:56:03AM +0545, Rohit Neupane wrote:
> Hi,
> `ipfw add 50 fwd 127.0.0.1,3128 tcp from any to any 80`  returns ipfw:
> getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.6 with the default kernel. I guess
> IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option is enabled in kernel.
> Do i need to enable it in /etc/rc.conf? if so then how?

ipfw(8) is not enabled in the GENERIC kernel.  You've got two choices:

i) build yourself a custom kernel with the appropriate options --- at
least:

    options  IPFIREWALL

and probably such things as

    options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
    options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=128
    options IPDIVERT

(IPDIVERT is needed if you're going to using ipfw(8) and natd(8)) ---
see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for details of what's available.

ii) Load the ipfw.ko kernel module into your kernel at boot time.  You
can see which kernel modules you have loaded by:

    # kldstat

and you can load the ipfw module by:

    # kldload ipfw

However, in the specific case of ipfw(8), you can arrange for all
necessary kernel modules to be loaded at boot time by setting:

    firewall_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf --- you'll need that even if you've compiled a kernel
with ipfw support built in.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way