Cable modem & DHCP

Bob Hall rjhalljr at starpower.net
Sat May 17 22:30:44 PDT 2003

I'm trying to connect a FBSD box to a cable modem. I'm getting
the following message at startup immediately after the dmesg lines
relating to rlphy0:
	ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address.

I assume that refers to
	ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
but I have no idea how to fix it so that the address gets assigned.
The FBSD box is the gateway for my LAN, and I normally run NAT and
an ipfw firewall w/ tcp.blackhole and udp.blackhole set to 2, but
I've disabled NAT and the firewall and reset blackhole to 0 for both
protocols while I try to set up the cable modem. Can anyone tell me
how to assign the requested address?

configuration info:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD sten.alder.net 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0: Sat Dec  7 18:48:43 E
ST 2002     root at sten.alder.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/STEN2  i386

$ less rc.conf
hostname="sten.alder.net"
inetd_enable="YES"

network_interfaces="rl0 lo0"
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"

kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
firewall_enable="NO"

named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-b /etc/namedb/named.conf"

portmap_enable="YES"

$ ifconfig rl0
rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:40:05:80:44:4b
        status: active

$ netstat -r
Routing tables
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
0                  link#4             UC          1        0    rl0 =>
default            192.168.0.1        UGSc       26        3    rl0
0.255.255.255      ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  UHLWb       3        9    rl0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        2    lo0