freebsd vs. linux - educated opinions wanted

MikeM zlists at mgm51.com
Sat May 17 08:28:24 PDT 2003

On 5/17/2003 at 4:17 PM Ruben de Groot wrote:
|On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 08:53:08AM -0400, MikeM typed:
|> On 5/16/2003 at 9:00 PM David Kelly wrote:
|> |On Friday 16 May 2003 07:57 pm, Aaron Peterson wrote:
|> |[...]
|> |
|> |Better hardware support? I don't confuse "support of more hardware"
|> |with the claim of "better hardware support." So what if by some
|> |chance FreeBSD doesn't support some oddball reverse-engineered
|> |proprietary 1x CDROM hardware interface that Linux supports?
|>  =============
|>
|> In my experience, I had to switch my media server from FreeBSd to
|> Linux due to the lack of full support for the 3Ware IDE RAID card
|> in FreeBSD.
|
|Really? I have a 3ware ATA RAID adapter which is working without any
|problems. Did you have
|
|device twe
|
|in your kernel?

Yes.

Please note that I make the difference between "able to run" and "fully
supported".  I was able to get the 3Ware controller to run on my FreeBSD
box.  But with 320GB of data at risk, I need the "fully suported" attribute
to be enabled.

Believe me, I'd much prefer to run the media server on FreeBSD.  And I'd
switch it over to FreeBSD in a heartbeat when/if the 3Ware controllers (and
associated utilities) are fully supported.