freebsd vs. linux - educated opinions wanted

MikeM zlists at mgm51.com
Sat May 17 05:53:10 PDT 2003

On 5/16/2003 at 9:00 PM David Kelly wrote:

|On Friday 16 May 2003 07:57 pm, Aaron Peterson wrote:
|[...]
|>
|> 1. There is better hardware support for linux, and more features
|> because there are more developers.
|
|Better hardware support? I don't confuse "support of more hardware" with
|the claim of "better hardware support." So what if by some chance
|FreeBSD doesn't support some oddball reverse-engineered proprietary 1x
|CDROM hardware interface that Linux supports?
 =============

In my experience, I had to switch my media server from FreeBSd to Linux due
to the lack of full support for the 3Ware IDE RAID card in FreeBSD.

I would have much preferred to keep the server in FreebSD due to the better
"coherency" of the BSD's.  But I'm not going to put 320GB of media files
onto a server dependent upon a IDE controller that is not supported by the
OS.

I would hardly call the 3Ware IDE RAID controllers "oddball".  IDE RAID
arrays are presenting a valid, cost-effective alternative to the SCSI RAID
arrays in many implementations, especially once the serial-ATA drives start
shipping en masse.  An excellent server OS like FreeBSD should provide
proper support for those controllers.