About my problem

Teilhard Knight teilhk at Phreaker.net
Sat May 17 04:33:08 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 13:16, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> > > Hmmm... It's not impossible to recover from the situation you're in
> > > without having to do anything unaesthetic, like re-installing.  It is,
> > > however, fairly tricky and requires use of some quite unfriendly
> > > commands.
> > >
> > > Your aim is simply to edit /etc/fstab and change all references to ad2
> > > over to ad1.  Since the fstab is not correct for your current machine,
> > > you can't boot to multiuser mode.  You can, however, boot to single
> > > user mode with the root partition you tell the kernel as above.  After
> > > power-on, interrupt the 10 second count down, and at the boot loader
> > > prompt type:
> > >
> > >     set root_disk_unit=1
> > >     boot /kernel -s
>

> your system seems to ve 4.x.
> your kernel is, somehow, badly created.
>
> why don't you try the generic kernel that [I hope] must be there
>
> 	boot /kernel.GENERIC -s
> or
> 	boot /kernel.old -s
>
> and follow the instruction given by Mattew.

This is one of those occasions I'm regretting to be so impatient.
Matthew had the right answer soon after I posted I couldn't boot
anymore. Instead of installing 5.0, I should have re-installed 4.8 and
compiled my kernel the right way now. Well, the end result is that I
have another compiled kernel in 5.0 with booting problems, grrr.

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?