Vinum works great until reboot.

Joachim Dagerot joachim at dagerot.nu
Thu May 15 23:11:08 PDT 2003

Thanks for your answer, I did read the man-pages, and I also read the
part on how to provide a complete error report, but because of the
fact that I was new to vinum and that I maid a quite straight forward
installation I thought I was running in to a somewhat standard
newbie-gotcha.

Everything works now, I did make a misstake, I added the c-drives to
my raid-5 instead of as I do now, an e-drive.

I don't think I made any other changes (having the same vinum.conf) as
from the beginning.

Thanks for your reply, and I shall try to be better on my
error-reports, sorry for taking up your time.

-------------------
> On Thursday, 15 May 2003 at  9:18:59 +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> > I have managed to create my volume, my plex (raid-5) and my disks.
> > I have managed to initialize all the subdisks and the disks. (Took
an
> > eternity)
> > I have managed to newfs the volume and then mount it.
> > I have managed to copy a file into the newly created volume.
> > I have added start_vinum="yes" in /etc/rc.conf
> >
> > BUT
> >
> > when I reboot the system everything is lost. Vinum doesn't know of
any
> > drives/plexes/volumes I configured, initialized and formatted.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Who knows?  I'd guess you have done something wrong.  Often people
who
> report things like that haven't read the man page (otherwise they'd
> supply the information needed to solve the problem) and have put the
> drives on the c partition.
>
> > Please help, this is extremely frustrating and because of the
hours
> > it takes to initialize the sub-disks this can't be done with
> > trial-error methodology! :)
>
> It's also extremely frustrating to get problem reports without any
> supporting evidence.  Take a look at the man page or
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply some
> information.
>
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original
recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

Contact info:
Joachim Dagerot
Cellular Phone: +46 70 265 57 03
EMail:  joachim at dagerot.nu