Trying To Setup A Larger Subnet, But I'm Doing Something Wrong....

The Jetman jetman516 at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 11:38:09 PDT 2003

    I have a working 4.5-RELEASE system that's been acting as my Internet
gateway for many months now, thank you very much.  It's a NATing system
using (til now) the 192.168.0.0/24 private net internally.  I want to
expand this subnet, to encompass the entire 192.168.1 net as well.

    I have changed my router's internal iface to use the 0xfffffe00 netmask
and just one of my boxes (also a FBSD box) so that it has an IP of
192.168.1.10 and the same netmask its partner, the gateway.  The
defaultrouter stmt in the new (192.168.1.10) box is the same 192.168.0.250.
As far as I know, this is supposed to be working as of now, but it isn't.
I can't even PING the router.  I don't think this is relevant, but the test
box also acts as a bridge under normal circumstances.  (Using it as opposed
to a Windows box, bec I can reconfig it more quickly during testing.)

    Tried to manually create a route that points to 192.168.0.250 (using
the ROUTE cmd), but no joy.

    Any suggestions are welcome....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+  Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by   +
+  incompetence.                                                     +
===  jetman516 at hotmail.com  =====================  Hanlon's Razor  ===