Operating System

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Thu May 15 08:45:27 PDT 2003

I didn't know about the F5 key...  That's interesting news...

Learned something new today...  Thanks

Peter

At 10:40 AM 5/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:00:06AM -0500, Peter Elsner wrote:
> > uhm... boot managers are for when you have multiple operating systems on a
> > SINGLE hard drive...
> >
> > Not for switching physically between 2 hard drives....
>
>Why not? F5 in the boot manager FreeBSD uses toggles to the next drive.
>At least FreeBSD tolerates being booted off something other than the C:
>0x80 drive.
>
>The BIOS boots the boot manager on the first drive whose prior default
>boot was F5 so after 5 or 10 seconds it hands off to the boot manager on
>the 2nd drive. And eventually you boot.
>
>I happen to have NT4 and FreeBSD 4.8 on the same drive at the moment but
>that has not always been the case.
>
>I suspect the original questioner somehow missed installing the boot
>manager on the primary drive and only installed on the secondardy.
>
>--
>David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net
>The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
>capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.