READ command timeout - a common problem i think

Thomas Weber thomas at youngarts.org
Thu May 15 07:46:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

i once had this error too and searched even hell about a solution. In some
archive i found the reason: Some CD-ROM-drives don't understand a strange
ATA-signal wich is used by FreeBSD for communication. Once ago there had
been a patch, but as i remember, it was in the times of FreeBSD 3.*.
As i know, there is _NO_ solution but installing another CD-ROM-drive or
removing the drive.
If you don't have another drive, you could install via bootdisk and FTP.

Thomas 'Neo' Weber
---
thomas at youngarts.org
neo at gothic-chat.de