How can I mount a cdrom .bin file?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 14 21:35:11 PDT 2003

On Thursday, 15 May 2003 at 12:39:54 +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See earlier in the thread for one method (which I have never
> personally tried) or do the following which I normally use:
>
> vnconfig /dev/vn0c /path/to/cd1.iso
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /mnt
>
> To unmount:
>
> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u /dev/vn0c
>
> Obviously the man page for vnconfig will be of interest to you!

vn goes away in release 5 of FreeBSD.  Use the md device instead.
Here's an extract from the fourth edition of "The Complete FreeBSD":

  Testing the CD-R
  ________________

  So now you have an ISO image.  How do you  know  it's  correct?   It's  just  a
  single  file,  and it could have just about anything on it.  You can burn a CD,
  of course, but if it's junk, you have another coaster.   If  you're  not  sure,
  it's better to look inside first.  You can do that by using it as the basis for
  an md vnode device.

  The md driver creates a number of different kinds of  pseudo-device.   See  the
  man  page md(4) for more details.  We use the vnode device, a special file that
  refers to file system files.  Support for md is included in the GENERIC kernel,
  but  if  you've built a kernel without the md driver, you can load it as a kld.
  If you're not sure, try loading the kld anyway.  Then  you  associate  a  vnode
  device with the ISO image iso-image using the program mdconfig:

  # kldload md                            load the kld module if necessary
  kldload: can't load md: File exists     already loaded or in the kernel
  # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f iso-image     configure the device
  md0                                     this is the name assigned
  # mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt         mount it

  After  this,  you  will  be  able  to access the image at /mnt as a normal file
  system.  Don't forget to unmount and unconfigure the file when you're finished:

  # umount /mnt
  # mdconfig -d -u 0

  Older releases of FreeBSD used the vn driver, which used different syntax.

Greg