How can I mount a cdrom .bin file?

Laszlo Vagner george at vagner.com
Wed May 14 19:20:50 PDT 2003

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>On Wednesday, 14 May 2003 at 21:17:22 +0000, How Can ThisBe wrote:
>

>>Hello. I have a number of .bin CDROM images and I was wondering how I
>>can mount them? I know how to mount .iso CDROM images but .bin is new
>>to me :]
>>

>File name extensions are meaningless in UNIX.  You can call them
>anything you want.  As somebody else observed, it might be a
>proprietary format, in which case you're out of luck.  But don't
>assume anything based on the name.  file(1) is your friend some of the
>time, but it doesn't recognize ISO images.
>
>Greg
>--
>When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original recipients.
>For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>See complete headers for address and phone numbers

i been easedropping on this thread and thought i would try mounting one
myself.
My results are disappointing to say the least, this iso file was created
with mkisofs
and burned successfully to cdrom.

amd2000# mount /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso /mnt
mount: /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso: Block device required
amd2000# mount_msdos /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso /mnt
mount_msdos: /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso: Block device required
amd2000# mount_cd9660 /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso /mnt
mount_cd9660: /usr/home/vagner/cd1.iso: Block device required
amd2000#

never tried this before so i think i must be doing something wrong.

amd2000# uname -a
FreeBSD amd2000.vagner.com 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #10: Tue May 13
13:35:26 EDT 2003
vagner at amd2000.vagner.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/amd2000  i386
amd2000#