Bootloader two-drive dual-boot configuration question

Paredes Sánchez Martín A. MPAREDES at telmex.com
Wed May 14 12:51:15 PDT 2003

If I understand, you want to boot from disk 1 (this has to be made in BIOS) and be asked what to boot (Windows or FreeBSD).

Is the same than booting fron disk 0 (no special configuration needed) and be asked what to boot (Windows or FreeBSD)

BootEasy is the program in FreeBSD that give the multiboot facility or bootmanager (the F1 ??? and F5 ...), this program, when installed,  is stored in the MBR (Master Boot Record) of disk 0, so you can say tha none OS is booted when you see the menu "F1 ??? and F5 ...". Because of this, the size of this program is restricted to 512 bytes.

The BootEasy program check how many "primary partitions" are in the disk (only can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions per disk), since you have only 1 partition on disk 0, F1 is printed in your monitor. Then BootEasy check how many disk are in the computer and print F5 for disk 1, F6 for disk 2 (you don't have this) and so.

I think you use more FreeBSD, so you want to boot FreeBSD with 1 key stroke (not like now, pressing F5 then F1, 2 key strokes), to do this, you need to modify the BootEasy program.

If you have the CD 1 of installation, look in \TOOLS\SRCS\BTEASY, there is a README file and the sources of this program, the BOOT.ASM is the program that goes to the MBR, you do this with the BOOTINST program witch is in \TOOLS.

-HTH
maps