send-pr issues probably related to sendmail misconfiguration

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 14 07:13:06 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-13 19:50, Evan Dower <evantd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> When I try to send-pr, I get:
>
> May  9 02:28:09 lojak sm-mta[21955]: h499RhZE021953: \
> to=<FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>, \
> ctladdr=<evantd at lojak.washington.edu> (1001/1001), delay=00:00:26, \
> xdelay=00:00:25, mailer=esmtp, pri=30460, \
> relay=mx1.freebsd.org. [216.136.204.125], dsn=4.2.0, stat=Deferred: \
> 450 <lojak.washington.edu>: Helo command rejected: Host not found

You're trying to post mail from a host whose IP address is not static.
The mail server at freebsd.org tries to lookup the hostname given in the
HELO command your Sendmail sends, and fails.  The message is returned
with a temporary failure error code.

When you're running Sendmail on a host with a dynamic IP address don't
configure it to deliver mail directly.  Use SMART_HOST to relay all your
outgoing mail through the mail gateway of your ISP.

> I can 'mail evantd at hotmail.com' just fine, but I suspect that the hotmail
> servers don't resolve hostnames. lojak.washington.edu is NOT an FQDN, but
> it's a lot nicer looking. I suppose I could try changing whatever needs to
> be changed to my FQDN, but what exactly would need to be changed? Is that
> even what seems to be necessary?

No.  Just like in Windows or X11 GUI mailers, that ask for an "outgoing
mail server", where you explicitly direct all outgoing mail to something
like mail.provider.com .. you need to tell Sendmail the same thing :-)

- Giorgos