Bootloader two-drive dual-boot configuration question

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Sun May 11 14:59:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, David Gerard wrote:

> I am setting up an IBM 300PL (Model 6862-N2U) which is intended to
> dual-boot Windows and FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE. As the BIOS will happily boot
> from any IDE hard disk, we wanted to set it up with the present Windows
> installation on drive 0 (the master - which FreeBSD sees as ad0) and a
> fresh FreeBSD installation on drive 1 (the slave - which FreeBSD sees as
> ad1).
>
> We installed FreeBSD and it's working fine on drive 1. However, going to
> the BIOS to configure which OS to boot into is annoying. So it would be
> nice to do it in the boot loader. However, I can't see what to give
> boot0cfg to do this (assuming that's the right program to use).
>
> (The options boot0 gives are F1 - FreeBSD; F5 - Drive 1 ... note that
> FreeBSD *is* on drive 1.)
>
> I tried swapping the disks - so the FreeBSD disk was drive 0 and the
> Windows disk was drive 1.

No, it won't work.
I doubt windows can start from your slave disk and
your /etc/fstab is made to mount file systems in "ad1".
You will require changing your /etc/fstab and making your
device files in /dev

> However, FreeBSD would not boot - the disk was
> expecting to find itself as ad1s1a, and mountboot wouldn't accept
> ufs:/dev/ad0s1a as I would have expected. So I put the disks back the way
> they were and we're presently selecting which disk to use via the BIOS.

Are you also writting the boot manager to disk 0?
You have to.

> Is there a way to do what we want with boot0? That is: boot from drive 1,
> then bring up a boot menu allowing us to select between booting off drive 0
> or drive 1?

Write boot manager to both disk0 and disk1

Booting with disk 0, will make you see a menu like:

	F1:  ???
	F5:  Disk 1

Pressing F1, you will get windows.

pressing F5, you will get a menu like: