DNS and Backup Mail Server -- SOLVED
drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun May 11 08:30:32 PDT 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net>
To: "Mark Foster" <mark at foster.cc>; "FreeBSD Questions"
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: DNS and Backup Mail Server
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark Foster" <mark at foster.cc>
> To: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 12:44 PM
> Subject: Re: DNS and Backup Mail Server
> > Your setup provides failover only if blacklamb is unavailable. Even then
> > it is a manual failover (requires your intervention to fix).
> > Even better would be to have an additional MX record of lower priority
> > (higher number = lower priority) that would queue the mail for you in
> > case of another outage. That server should be "out there" on the
> > Internet.
> Thank you for your input. I don't mind the "manual failover" aspect.
> just my own server for my own mail and receives less than 500 messages per
> day (most from freebsd-*). The only time it "fails" is when I'm mucking
> with it. :) In this case it was vinum config and I really screwed it up.
> > If you choose to do that, you'll need to find someone willing to do the
> > backup MX hosting for you. It's really easy to setup the backup. Ask a
> > friend.
> I will do that if I ever find a friend that runs a mail server. At this
> time most of my friends can't even figure out how to run their mail client
> on Windows.
> > Oh, and setting up postfix on blacksheep as *backup* is probably not
> > what you want... but I could be wrong. If the users/aliases don't exist
> > on blacksheep it might reject the mail.
> Actually I think I have this one OK as I can telnet to blacksheep on port
> and issue mail commands to simulate mail addressed to @mykitchentable.net
> and it gets forwarded to blacklamb as is should. I should also mention
> I've been able to do this on both the 10.2 and 1.2 interfaces. It's just
> that when I change the NAT entry in my router, I never see any connections
> initiated to blacksheep. And unfortunately the logging facilities on the
> 3Com are minimal so I don't know where the failure occurs.
I found my problem. I failed to allow traffic to blacksheep's interfaces in
the firewall setup (duh). :) So anyway, the concept works.
More information about the freebsd-questions