ADM8211 wlan nic / wlan suggestions?

Harry harryfrankenfeld at comcast.net
Thu May 8 19:09:22 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:01  PM, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
>> Gang,
>> I'm admittedly a newbie, setting up a new box. I rent an old house, so
>> my options are either stringing a cat5 from room to room (thus not
>> making my roommate happy) or 802.11b, which I'm currently using with
>
> _Nothing_ is or will be able to replace a CAT5 wire ;-)

Oh, I know -- just to get the machine going, I just ran a line down the
hall. Nothing beats the gleam of white PVC jacketing on a hardwood
floor, or the *thud* a roommate makes when stumbling down the hall and
tripping at 3am :)

>> So, I've got two questions for the list:
>>
>> 1) anyone know of the progress on the driver for this chipset?
>
> Regrettably I can't tell you any non-negatives.

Given the silence I've seen concerning the topic in the last month or
so, I assumed that was the case.

>> 2) any suggestions for a well-supported 802.11b PCI card? In addition
>> to a make/model, what chipset should I look for/expect?
>>

> The old D-Link DWL520 (without +)! (Prism 2.5)

That's what seemed to be the reigning king.

> Best regards,
>
> -Harry

Thanks, Harry.

Harry