AFS Server and Client

Tillman tillman at seekingfire.com
Wed May 7 14:41:53 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 04:55:32PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> The freebsd-afs mailing list is pretty much dormant.  That was
> setup before openafs happened, iirc, and once openafs got going
> all the discussion (that I've seen) has been on openafs lists.

That's been my impression as well.

> The bsd-related traffic at openafs is sometimes on the main
> development lists, and not in the bsd-specific mailing lists.
> There has been some recent activity on getting openafs running
> on freebsd-current.  In fact, I think that if you get the
> source out of the CVS repository, the openafs client should be
> pretty close to working on freebsd-current.

The client side isn't the problem - there's a couple of clients around.

> I am told the openafs-server will already run on freebsd, but I
> have not tried it myself.

I have, with the a recent snapshot. It needs a few more months worth of
polishing, even the installation process itself is a bit complicated. I
wasn't able to get it working, though I only spent an evening on it.

My understanding is that OpenAFS is relatively new, and the code "sat in
cold storage" for a long time while it was commercial but only
half-heartedly marketed and supported. From that point of view, OpenAFS
has come a long way in a short amount of time.

-T

--
"I don't believe in art. I believe in artists."
        - Marcel Duchamp