restricting users login

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Wed May 7 07:55:28 PDT 2003

# blueeskimo at gmx.net / 2003-05-07 01:05:21 -0400:
> On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 00:58, Brandon Hagedorn wrote:
> > Is there a way I can restrict user's login in ftp, and shell access.  I
> > want to restrict users to only login from a certain IP range.  Is this
> > possible? and if so could you direct me in the right direction(websites,
> > man pages)
>
> Most FTPd allow IP restrictions per login (I know PureFTPd does). For
> SSH, I think the only way to restrict IP's is by firewall, but thats per
> port, not per login.

    actually, ssh has means of limiting certain users to certain hosts.

    sshd_config(5):

     AllowUsers
             This keyword can be followed by a list of user name patterns,
             separated by spaces.  If specified, login is allowed only for
             users names that match one of the patterns.  `*' and `'?  can be
             used as wildcards in the patterns.  Only user names are valid; a
             numerical user ID is not recognized.  By default, login is
             allowed for all users.  If the pattern takes the form USER at HOST
             then USER and HOST are separately checked, restricting logins to
             particular users from particular hosts.