How to type special characters?

Malcolm Kay Malcolm.Kay at internode.on.net
Mon May 5 03:50:15 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 04:27, How Can ThisBe wrote:
> From: Simon Barner <barner at in.tum.de>
>
> >Subject: Re: How to type special characters?
>
> <snip>
>
> >For the Euro symbol, I can offer you this article here
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/euro/.
>
> Ah.. maybe that was a bad choice of characters. The ü (character 252) is
> possibly a better example.
>
> Thanks however!

If you are using X then xterm will (with the right settings) return characters
with the 8th bit set when pressed together with a Meta key. You need to use
xmodmap to install a Meta key or keys and make it(them) a modifier key.

Read man xterm; man xmodmap

Some other applications might have similar capability to xterm; others will
get their input via xterm when called therefrom.

Malcolm