Quanta make fails

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon May 5 00:15:26 PDT 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 08.56, Tom Smith wrote:
> ENVIRONMENT
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
> KDE 3.1
> Quanta 3.1
>
> When I run make in the Quanta source directory I get the following error:
>
> /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:273: warning: '_POSIX_C_SOURCE' is not defined
> /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:279: warning: '_POSIX_C_SOURCE' is not defined

Harmless noise from GCC 2.95.3.  This does not in any way affect the
application, or prevent compilation.  Notice it says 'warning' not error, and
compiling does not stop.

> After some research, I found that it was recommended (err, required) to
> run gmake to compile it. When I run gmake, I get:
>
> Makefile:20: *** missing separator.  Stop

Use the port, /usr/ports/www/quanta - it's all taken care of for you, just
'make install' or if you are using portupgrade 'portinstall quanta'

You must use 'make' to install a port, if the port needs gmake to actually
compile the program, the maintainers know this and it will use it.

> I haven't been able to find any further information on this issue or
> what I need to do to resolve it. I think it's a problem with my box (the
> problem also occurs when I try to compile kdevelop) but I don't know
> where to start looking.

The warning noise happens with a lot of programs, it's nothing to worry about
at all.  It's awfully annoying, but nothing more.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/