Problem starting VNCServer at boot

Tom Smith tom at openadventures.org
Fri May 2 22:26:34 PDT 2003

ENVIRONMENT
FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
TightVNC 1.2.8

PROBLEM
Getting error: "Starting local daemons:vncserver: couldn't find "xauth"
on your PATH."

SITUATION
I installed tightvnc-1.2.8 from the port collection and configure
/etc/rc.local to start a vncserver for a specific user at startup using
the following command:

su <username> -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/vncserver :1 -depth 8 -geometry 800x600"

When this tries to start at boot up I get the above error. If I start it
from the command line it works fine.

This sounds like an issue with the defined PATH at bootup but I've not
been able to find anything explaining how to define this PATH in the
FreeBSD handbook or otherwise.