Zeros and ones

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Fri May 2 17:50:53 PDT 2003

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 07:53:40PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This should be easy, but short of writing something specific to do it,
>> I am not getting my head around how.
>>
>> It is easy and convenient to use /dev/zero to write out a number of
>> zero bytes to somewhere - as in:

>> But, I would like to write all ones - as in 0xff or maybe some
>> other pattern - as if there was a /dev/one also.

I absolutely can't believe it.  At the exact time Jerry was struggling
with this, I was working on *exactly* the same issue.  Couldn't have
phrased his question any better - I was actually looking in /dev for a
"one" device!

My way of resolving the problem, BTW, was to create a pure white bitmap in
PhotoShop and trim it to the size I needed with "head".  Different ways to
skin the cat!  ;)

KeS