CVSROOT missing even after using cvsroot-all

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Fri May 2 15:59:11 PDT 2003

On 2003.05.02 15:30:24 -0700, Chris Miller wrote:

> > [ this has nothing to do with -CURRENT so I have removed it from CC: ]
>
> sorry, the announcment of modifying the supfile to include cvsroot-all was
> made there...

Ah, ok I couldn't remember that, in that case it could be argued that it
is OK.  I was just a bit tired of the some excessive crossposting done
some times. Oh well :)

> I thought that, but the only difference in the supfile is :
>
> *default release=cvs
>
> vs.
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7
>
> and the directory /home/ncvs.
>
> If I'm trying to build a 4.7 release, wouldn't the cvs-supfile cause the
> 5.x srcs to be checked out? If not, then why would I want a duplicate src
> tree in /home/ncvs when I already have one in /usr/src? It seems that all
> I'm missing is the CVSROOT directory.

To do the release you need a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository which
contain the information about every change since FreeBSD started in CVS.
This is not real source files but RCS files with the changes to the
source files.  After you have the CVS tree in /home/ncvs you can check
out any version of FreeBSD (e.g. 4.7) in your local /usr/src from
/home/ncvs. Omitting tag=something does the difference between getting a
FreeBSD source tree and getting the CVS tree.

Btw. to get -CURRENT / 5.x you would set the cvsup config line to
(AFAIR) :

default release=cvs tag=.

I would suggest reading a bit about CVS e.g. looking at "The CVS book"
which has (the relevant) parts online at http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/ .

Btw. ncvs is rather large :
[simon at trillian:~] du -sch /data/mirror/freebsd/ncvs
1.8G    /data/mirror/freebsd/ncvs

--
Simon L. Nielsen