firewalling choice

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Fri May 2 12:00:20 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> The biggest difference between the two from the user perspective is
> that ipfw(8) is a 'first match wins' type ruleset, whereas ipf(8) is
> 'last match wins'.  Read the manual pages to find out which syntax

This is not true, ipf can do first-match ot last-match. Or you can
mix them. look at the 'quick' keyword for the details.

With ipf you can make the ruleset tree-shaped instead of a linear list
(rule groups) and that speeds the search in very long rulesets.
Some people told me you can do the same with ipfw 'skipto' keyword,
but I don't see how to do that in a simple way.

Both ipf and ipfw and very powerful, I prefer ipf for compatibility reasons
(I have some old SPARC firewalls runing ipf over Solaris). Besides, when I
started using it (more than 6 years ago, back to 2.2.X) ipf was the way to
go if you wanted NAT.

Now I mix it with ipfw to use dummynet in the FreeBSD boxes. IPF does
filtering/NAT and ipfw does shaping.

If you can afford it, my advise is to try both and see which one you like
more, or fits better your particular needs.

			Fer