Problems getting FreeBSD installed and operational

alex at suffix.demon.co.uk alex at suffix.demon.co.uk
Fri May 2 05:17:27 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm getting to my wits end with trying to get FreeBSD installed and working on a Compaq Evo D310 machine. Below is a description of what I've tried and any help would be most gratefully received :-)

Insert FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE CD (downloaded ISO on 29th April 2003) - boot machine, the machine reads the CD - I get dash '-' in the top left of the screen, then a register dump followed by the message "BTX halted"

Tried the above operations with 4.2-RELEASE and 4.4-RELEASE CDs as well (the only ones that I have to hand at the moment) - same results.

OK, I thought - switch to boot floppy mode - created the disks, and loaded from them - hey I'm getting some results - perform a minimal installtion, and every thing goes fine - right up until the time that I reboot to start BSD for real, and guess what, register dump and "BTX halted".

Tried this twice, once with "Standard MBR" and once with the boot menu - both have the same results.

The machine is standard - straight out of the box - and I don't want to dual-boot it so I've zapped the MS XP builder partition.

I've tried searching for others who have had similar problems - with no cures showing.

Can anybody help with this please?

Regards,

Alex Croton

P.S. I can transcribe the register dump if it will help!