add subdisk in vinum concat

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Thu May 1 15:34:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 05:17:47PM +0200 or thereabouts, Tobias Roth seemed to write:
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering if it's possible to add another subdisk to my
> vinum concat without losing the existing data, and if so, how.
> Here is my vinum.conf:
>
> drive 9GBSCSI  device /dev/da0s2
> drive 16GBATA  device /dev/ad0
> drive 30GBATA  device /dev/ad2
>
> volume storage
>   plex org concat
>   sd length 0 drive 9GBSCSI
>   sd length 0 drive 16GBATA
>   sd length 0 drive 30GBATA
>
> It looks like I can simply add a new disk. The problem I see is the
> newfs'ing. All the docs I found say to newfs the whole storage, not
> individual subdisks. Which, of course, would make me lose my data.

Have you heard about growfs(8)? man 8 growfs
Example:
# umount /usr
# growfs /dev/vinum/usr
We strongly reccomend to backup your data first.
Do you have a backup (Yes/No)? [type Yes, press Enter]
And then it'll look like newfs output, but you won't lose anything.

HTH,
-- Josh