running X from windows pc

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:39:48 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:38:32 -0600 "Chad Albert" <chadalbert at mchsi.com>
wrote
>Subject: Re: [notspam] Re: Running X from a windows PC
>To: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>
>I believe there is an X server available in Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/
>Otherwise, here is a link to some instructions and a free version of
>Microimage.
>http://www.linuxnetmag.com/en/issue5/m5xserver1.html

>server)
> > >
> > > Do you know any free software to do display exporting on Windows ?
> > >

> > A few years back a company called 'Microimage' used to offer a free
> > MS-Windows X-Client.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Don Read                                       dread at texas.net

Just wanted to say that I have used the cygwin setup to do this; it's pretty
easy.

Just establish a ssh X session (ssh -X), then launch an xterm. (though,
you'll need to setup some things for ssh first. There's a variety of
suggested methods for this. A good overview is available at
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~cs252/unix/xwin.html#xx__1_5 )

Peace,
Clayton