Reverse DNS and single IP address space

Victor Bondarenko vpb at indite.org
Thu Mar 27 11:05:35 PST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:52:04AM -0700, James Earl wrote:
[...]
> I'm assuming if I can use nslookup [ip-address] to get my hostname,
> that reverse DNS on the ISP is setup properly.  Is this an okay
> assumption?

Most likely, yes.  Just to be safe, I would do something like

nslookup [ip-address] [isps-nameserver]

to make sure that you're getting the query from your ISPs name server and
not from the one on your network (although if you have your network DNS
set up correctly it shouldn't make a difference.)

Victor

vpb at indite.org