FreeBSD Installation Problems

John Vender john at jmv.com.au
Thu Mar 27 06:21:34 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 07:57 PM, Sukhbinder Singh wrote:

> [...]
> the
> "User Confirmation Requested" window. When it ask me "DO you want to try
> IPv6 configuration of the interface? " I selected no and pressed enter
> proceeded to the next screen. Then in the next screen I get another
> window
> with a request message like "Do you want to try DHCP configuration at
> the
> Interface ? Yes No ". I selected No and proceeded to the next level of
> the
> installation process. In this next level, I get a big screen called the
> "Network Configuration" window to proceed with my ftp. I think or
> suspect
> this is where the problem is.  This window has 7 fields which it
> requires me
> to enter. These 7 fields are host, domain, ipv4 gateway, name server,
> IPv4
> address netmask :, extra option to ifconfig. I do not know any
> information
> regarding any of the fields. If I leave all of these fields empty, the
> installation program prompts me with an error message like "must
> specify a
> host name of some sort !"  Then I just entered a host name for the host,
> like foo.com and pressed enter to proceed all the way through the 7
> fields
> to the OK button. Then, the installation program brings me to another
> window
> to enter the IP address of my service provider and then it prompts
> another
> window asking me "Does your ISP support PAP or CHAP ppp logins ? Yes
> No" I
> pressed Yes and it requested me to enter the login name for my service
> provider. I then entered my login name, then it requested me to enter my
> password to my service provider and I entered my password to my service
> provider and then it requested the provider's login phone number and I
> entered the provider login phone number. Then this installation program
> asks
> me if my telephone line supports tone dialing ? I selected yes and
> pressed
> enter and proceeded further. Then, the installation program brings me
> to a
> window saying PPP command is already started on VTY3. I pressed enter
> at the
> OK highlighted button and then I get the final message saying "Couldn't
> open
> FTP connection to ftp.freebsd.org: Undefined error : 0." Then at this
> point
> I get another message saying killing previous PPP process 76 and after
> pressing enter here I get another message saying "unable to adjust your
> media configuration and try again : " This is my installation process.
> It
> fails to download freebsd automatically from the freebsd ftp site like

Hmm, it's been ages since I've done an ftp install but it seems
sysinstall from your floppies is doing its job and you're getting
through the required steps. I've just had a read of the handbook but the
ftp install description is a bit sparse and I can't work out from it
what the problem is and I don't have a machine to to try it on other
than an old 486 with only 16 meg of ram, small hard disk and rather
ancient 2.2.8 FreeBSD on it.

Hopefully someone with recent experience doing an ftp install will see
where the problem lies. Last time I did it which was years ago I don't
recall coming across your problem although I do remember my first
attempt at the ftp install wasn't smooth sailing, I just don't remember
what I was stumbling on.

If I don't see any help on this in the next couple of days I'll see if
any of my FreeBSD loving friends have any recent ftp install experience
and can see where your install is going wrong.

Cheers...John