Py22-Qt port problems...

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1049163725.750fa3 at mired.org
Thu Mar 27 02:22:08 PST 2003

In <200303261621.31670.andy at leonidae.org>, Andy Akins <andy at leonidae.org> typed:
> I'm having a bit of a problem with the PyQT port...any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> First of all, the port itself doesn't download the correct files, because they
> don't seem to be available...PyQt-x11-gpl-3.4.tar.gz has been replaced by a
> newer version, PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5.tar.gz. Assuing that usingthe newer one might
> not be such a good idea, I searched the web and found a
> PyQt-x11-gpl-3.4.tar.gz on the Gentoo Linux distfiles site. When I installed
> it into /usr/ports/distfiles, the md5 passed and the install proceeded.

Ok, you've got the right version of PyQT for the port. The question
is, do you have the right version of Qt?

> QTabletEvent::QTabletEvent(const QTabletEvent &)
> sip/qevent.sip: In function `struct PyObject * sipSubClass_QEvent(const QEvent
> *)':
> sip/qevent.sip:504: `Tablet' is not a member of type `QEvent'
> sipqtQEvent.cpp: At top level:
> sipqtQEvent.cpp:378: `Tablet' is not a member of type `QEvent'
> *** Error code 1

I know the Qt library was updated recently, as the Qt port tracked
that. From the looks of things, you're trying to install the a PyQt
meant for the previous version of Qt, and that isn't working.

> Has anyone had any luck installing Py-QT from ports? Am I doing something
> incorrectly?

Yes, I installed it from ports. However, that was using the old
version of the Qt library. Trying to build it with the new version of
the Qt library results in sip failing without generating much in the
way of error messages.

First, make sure you've got the latest version of the PyQt port. It's
possible it has been updated for the new version of PyQt. If you've
got the latest version, nudge the maintainer of the port to see if
he'll update it. Actually, the port maintainer is usually the right
person to contanct when port builds fail.

As a workaround, since there are no patch files in the port, you might
try building the 3.5 version of PyQt with the port. The pkg-plist may
be wrong in this case, so it may not uninstall cleanly. However, once
the PyQt port gets updated, installing that should fix the pkg-plist
to use the right thing.

	<mike