Suggestions for FreeBSD workstation

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 27 01:58:33 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:23:11 +0000 (WET), Miguel Gonçalves
<miguelg at fe.up.pt> wrote:

> Hello FreeBSDers!
>
> I am about to build a new box to keep at home to do some
> digital photo editing, write some documents with LaTeX and
> listen to some music (MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Audio CDs).
>
> I selected this hardware and I was hoping to get some
> feedback from you on items that might have problems with
> FreeBSD 4.7 and the new 4.8.
>
> Anyway here it is:
>
> - ASUS A7S333 motherboard

Using A7V333 happily.  (Was 4-STABLE, now 5-CURRENT.)  Of course VIA and
SiS are different chipsets, but AFAIK there should be no problem with that
level of hardware.

> - AMD XP 2000+

Using XP 1800+ happily.

> - Titan D5TB-TC Socket A/FCPGA
> - 3 x DDR 512 MB PC333

Using 2 x 256 MB PC2100 happily.  That's a bit older than what you've got,
so I can't be certain, but then again I haven't seen any complaints about
PC333.

> - Western Digital 80GB 80/72/100 800JB 8MB Cache
> - CDRW LG 8481B 48x24x48x IDE
> - Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 NIC
> - Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
> - 19" Sony CPD-E450
> - XFX Riva TNT 32MB AGP
> - Sound Blaster Live 4.1 Creative OEM
>
> My doubts regarding this configuration are related
> to the Sound Blaster Live support.
>
> BTW, with 1.5 GB of RAM can I mount the /usr/src
> and /usr/obj in a MFS to speed up 'world' compilation?

Certainly.  However, after building the world a few jillion times, I can
tell you using a MFS made absolutely no difference on my machine (all
partitions on same slice of a RAID0).  Mounting the relevant stuff
"noatime" seemed to speed things up a bit.

Jud